1111

`-=the frustrated chef=-

[Name] Joy Jarbadan-Salinas
[Age] *secret*
[Location] manila
[status] married to
[hubby]John Salinas
[united as one on] 06.18.05
Email me!

-=kitchen wish list=-

KITCHENAID MIXER
OVENTOP GRILLE
STAINLEES STEEL FRIDGE

-=Cooking and Baking Suppliers=-

Chocolate Lovers
KILLION
COOK'S EXCHANGE

-=my good eats=-

mY oWn fOOd bLoG...

-=Monthly Menu=-

August 2005
September 2005
August 2009

Friday, September 09, 2005
MY OWN KITCHEN MUST-HAVES

The kitchen is one of my favorite places in the house...aside from our bedroom, of course! ;-) It's not just because I love to eat, but mainly it is my love..or should I say passion for cooking and baking that makes me want to achieve a perfect kitchen...complete with the ameneties an aspiring baker would die for. When our house was remodelled, I made sure there will be lots of cabinet space for my kitchen gadgets. Eversince I baked my very first brownie, I have purchased quite a number of baking tools, but mostly were bought my sister from NY and were brought here.

When I was still single, I try to bake some goodies in our home. Now that I am already a wife, it seems ironic that I don't get to do some baking for my hubby. John always tell me to cook or bake some goodies which were shown in Food Network, but my ingredients are not always complete. I think it's time to fill up my baking pantry with the basic ingredients....and so here is my MUST-HAVE list in the kitchen. Fellow W@Wie and June wife Peachy ni Gelo
first came up with the list...and I am following suit.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Culinary Posters


1. ELECTRIC STAND MIXER - My ultimate wish list for my kitchen is definitely a KITCHENAIDE. Truly every baking enthusiast's dream! I have an electric hand mixer, which my sister brought from NY. Unfortunately, it is not working anymore...I guess it got overheated when John & I made some heavy mixing for the Sans Rival we made months back. I wish someone had given us a KITCHENAIDE as wedding gift, just like fellow June bride Serg had from one of their ninangs! Now, I know I have to save for that ultimate KITCHENAIDE of my dreams...hope BPI Installment Madness will include such items....sigh!!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mix It Up Poster by Susan Glass


2. MEASURING SPOONS, CUPS AND BAKING PANS – Baking is an exact science, so it is best to invest on these equipment.

3. ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR - I want to bake more often now, so I must stack up with all-purpose flour. The last time I bought a kilo of flour, I forgot to put it inside the freezer to prolong shelf-life. So when I was about to bake some food for the gods, the flour already had those icky yucky brown mites (or whatever you call them)...so off to the trash the flour went.

4. COCOA - Another baker's must-have. Preferably dutch-processed for richer and darker chocolate brownies, cookies and cakes! But cocoa bought from Chocolate Lovers will do fine for me.

5. ANCHOR BUTTER - I always bake with Anchor butter (unsalted) and nothing else. A lot more expensive but definitely will yield yummier and tastier goodies. I've tried a cheaper brand one time I baked some choco-chip cookies, they tasted so oily.

6. CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR - This is perfect for icings and dusting over those delicious choco crinkles...a favorite of my nieces.

7. CINNAMON – My mom always asks me to bake bread pudding (original recipe by Stella Daza), and cinnamon is one of its ingredients. So I always have McCormick cinnamon in the fridge. The aroma of the cinnamon as the bread pudding is being baked will definitely make anyone just sit down in front of the oven and watch for the pudding to be done…just like what my niece Jacque did one time.

8. VANILLA EXTRACT – Most baked goodies call for vanilla flavoring, that’s why it should always be in the fridge. I often use the vanilla extract of McCormick, as I have yet to try Ferna, both the extract and the powdered one. Aside from vanilla, I also have orange, lemon, strawberry, almond and mint flavors.

9. BROWN SUGAR – Also a basic ingredient of most baked goodies.

10. LIGHT CORN SYRUP – Great for more chewy brownies and food for the gods. Geesshh...talking about baked goodies make me hungry....

11. DATES – Pitted ones, they are perfect for my food for the gods.

12. WALNUTS – Great for brownies, food for the gods, cakes. Good for salads, too, for that crunch. Cashews or pecans are more expensive, so I often use walnuts.

13. CHOCOLATE BLOCKS – I buy white and brown choco blocks (the premium ones) from Chocolate Lover’s, but these must be used within 6 months or else the taste and texture will no longer be as great. These choco blocks can be melted in the microwave to make molded chocos which are perfect as a gift or as an extra income. My best sellers are choco roses (during Valentine and Mother’s Day) and the choco kisses. One of our wedding favors was the blue choco butterflies which my sister and my aunt painstakingly did for us.

14. FRESH EGGS – A common ingredient in baking. Also perfect for vegetable omelets ala Pancake House. Yummy!

15. CHOCOLATE KISSES – This is my indulgence. Cookies & cream kisses. To die for…

16. COFFEE - John's passion...never a day without a hot cup of strong black coffee...can consume at the most 6 cups in a day!!! Really a coffee addict!

17. NESTLE CALCIUM PLUS - If John has his coffee, I have my nonfat milk...good for the bones, especially for an scoliotic beauty like me! ;-)


Hmmm…What else? There are so many things that a kitchen must have…but for me, these are the most basic ones that I, as a baking enthusiast, must have ….ALWAYS!!!

*Note: This entry was originally posted in our
wedblog

joy whipped up this dish... @ 2:12 AM

----------

Yummy Talk

0 Food reviews

bE mY fOoD cRiTiC


Comments: Post a Comment

-=Foodstuff=-

Pinoy Cook
Pinoyfoodtalk!
Nestle Good Food
Kusina ni Manang

-=Foodtalk=-

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

-=CrEd!tS=-

CulinaryPosters
Blogger
Blogskins